Where's the Money Honey?

My husband usually comes home each evening and tells me all about his work day. Sometimes it sounds like the day before. In those cases, I tend to nod every now and then, while tuning in and out, paying just enough attention to not be completely ignoring him. Then if he happens to say something interesting I can then fully tune him back in.

The other day I had him tuned in because his company had their yearly
awards ceremony and he was telling me who won what award..
"Keith won Technical Excellence, Syringes was Cell Of The Year.... "
So, I interrupt
(interrupting people who are speaking is a wonderful habit I have)
"Who won for Administrative Excellence?" I ask.
He then goes on and on about how Keith really deserved the Technical Excellence award and how he is glad he won.
Yes, yes, Keith is a great guy, works hard and all that but.....
"Who won the Administrative Excellence Award?"
Then he goes on about the meeting that he had to go to before the Awards.
OK.... yea, I get it, I know you hate meetings..... but
"Who won the Administrative Excellence Award?"
Finally he goes, "Oh, well, I did." all dull like the whole thing bored him!

To my knowledge he is the only employee to win that award TWICE. My husband tends to be both a private and very humble man. I guess there is always the possibility that he just didn't think his achievement was important. But the more I stewed on it (stewing is another fine talent I have) the more it bugged me. If I had never pressed him would he have mentioned that he'd won? This is soooo classic Cecil. He can talk all day long about work but talk about himself? Are you kiddin'???

Then it hit me...... wait a minute.... don't those awards come with some cash? Not a lot.. but enough to show a little appreciation? Now, I get it. He wasn't trying to hide he won an award plaque. (In fact he then pulled it out to show the kids) He just wasn't wanting to tell me he won money.

Right before mother's day too! How convenient! Now, why would that dear sweet man be wanting to keep that kind of information from his clothes loving, gym membership craving, curriculum addicted, needing a new hair style, loyal and adoring wife?

Just kidding, honey! Congrats on the Administrative Excellence Award. Lord knows you deserve it! I'm very proud of you. Now.....

Now that you have won the stinkin' award (again).....


STOP WORKING SO FRIGGIN' MUCH!!!!!

2 comments:

Rhonda P said...

My husband calls moves like that a savings plan. I call it lying by omission.

Anonymous said...

Lucky you! At least I hope...or he's going to be wishing he was working longer hours again. ;-)

My husband would never be good at hiding money from me. I can't tell you the last time he actually went to an ATM machine or wrote a check. He usually doesn't even ask me to give him cash-- I'm the one that makes sure that he has his wallet, some cash, ID and cell phone for work! I know, it's my fault for babying him so much.

Congrats to your hubby for his excellence at work!

Marsha