Angel Food Ministry

I am leary of most deals. However, I have been hearing about the Angel Food Ministry for a long time now and finally had to try it out myself. It is not just for low income families but for any family looking to get a good deal on groceries. When I found out that the church at the very end of my street was offering Angel Food it was like the last obstacle was removed. It can't get much easier than that, right? We finally had to try it out to see if the food being offered was good quality.

The way it works is there are host sites all over the US mostly at churches. You place your order there and then about two weeks later your food comes in (nearly all frozen goods) and you go to the host site to pick it up. You have to order the One main box for $25 and then you can order as many of the smaller special boxes that you want.

In April the main box contained:
(6) 4 oz. Hamburger Steaks with Bacon
(4) 6 oz. Pork Chops
(1) 2 lb. Breaded Breast Fillets
(1) 1 lb. Ground Beef
(1) 16 oz. Fully-Cooked Meatballs
(1) 2 lb. Breaded Chicken Tenders
(1) 12 in. Supreme Pizza
(1) 16 oz. Corn Dogs
(1) 20 oz. French Fries
(1) 16 oz. Corn
(1) 15 oz. Pork & Beans
(1) 16 oz. Pinto Beans
(1) 10 oz. Gravy
(1) 16 oz. Rice
(1) 6 oz. Pancake Mix
(1) 30 oz. Pie
(1) 16 oz. Green Beans

That is quite a bit of food for $25.oo. They estimate that you get around $50.oo worth of food for half the price. I was concerned that it would be poor quality but we have eaten several of the items and so far they have all been very tasty. The meat is mostly individually vacuum sealed pkgs. which I love.

We also ordered the Grill box for $18.00:
2-8oz. NY Strips
4-4oz. Bacon-Wrapped Fillets
2-8oz. Sirloin Steaks
4-4oz. Boneless Center Cut Pork Chops,
1-16 oz. Italian Sausage
I now think we probably should have ordered two of these. They also had other meat boxes, chicken and what not for around the same price.

The menu is different each month. The May line up looks pretty good. I think this is something we'll be continuing to do. When your a single income family every thing you can do to pinch pennies helps. It is also cheap enough that we can afford to buy an extra box to give to other families in need. Plus, they take food stamps. So, not only is this a good deal for us but a great ministry to other families not as fortunate as us. I admit I was skeptical about this really being a good deal, but now that I've tried it I'm willing to say I would recommend it to anyone. So, if you'd like save a little money click on this: Angel Food Ministries and see if there is a host site near you.

0 comments: