How to Shut up a Barking Dog



This is my DH's dog Sassy. Sassy is the only dog I've ever met that runs away from you when you call her. Once she goes outside there are only two ways to get her in. One, wait for her to come in or ask in on her own. (Believing it is her idea, is a must.)Two, pick her up in the car. She will get in the car in a heart beat.

Now around 4 AM this morning Sassy began whining to go out. Cecil and I do this pretend your still asleep until the other one gives up and gets up to let the dog out game. This morning I lost and got up to let the dog out. So, when the dog starts barking it is then MY Fault of course! Soon after she got out she treed a squirrel. Now this dog can sit under a tree and bark for hours on end. So, here is about how it goes this morning...

Cecil: "See if you can get that @#$%^&* dog in!"

Me: "You know she won't come in when called, besides she has treed a squirrel she won't hear me." Plus in my head I was thinking if he thinks I'm getting up and going for a drive at 4 AM to pick his dog up he is crazy!

Cecil: "Well I might as well get up! There is not going to be any sleeping with her barking out there....." He then ranted on and on and on....about stupid things like not letting her out and keeping her in a cage. Like those answers would be quite and peaceful.

Now here I'd like to point out that he got up and went to watch TV in the living room but did not I repeat did not do anything to get said barking dog to stop barking!

So... I lay there in bed with our windows open hearing this cursed dog bark on and on until I had enough. This was clearly going to take a woman to solve. I calmly walked to the front door, opened it up, lit a black cat, threw it into the yard, stepped out of the door way for the frighten dog to make a mad dash into the house, shut the door and began heading back to bed. My dh rushed into the hallway complaining that I woke the whole street. To which I replied, "Cecil they've been awake listening to your stupid dog bark for the last 15 minutes, at least now they can go back to sleep!" And to prove my point I did just that!

As I snuggled down in my bed I imagined the neighbors quietly thanking God that someone finally shot that stupid barking dog and wondered at the disappointment they are sure to feel the next time they see her. But that is OK. I now have a bowl full of black cats with a lighter sitting at the ready for the next time!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

April,

You have (had) a common problem with Heidi and her 'Shadow'.

That dog worked SO HARD at doing things that made you want to ...

(well, a Black Cat would be more 'humane')

But, I think Shadow is behaving better with a new family with land and lots of patience.

U.A.