Adventures of a Five Year Old Girl

I love my daughter. She is me! She is beautiful and yes it is true I admit that she gets that from her Dad, but the personality is all ME! Sometimes when our hard heads bash up against each other it is a bit rough but for the most part I am thoroughly entertained by her. For instance…..

Curiosity Killed the Cat…

The other day I was trying to watch American Idol and cook supper at the same time. So, as I’m in the bed room trying to catch a song before I check on the food I hear my daughter crying and screaming and her father (who doesn’t do stress well) screaming “HELP!” OH MY Gosh! She did she get burned, cut, is she seriously injured? I run out of the room to find the screams weren’t from the kitchen they were from the hallway past the kitchen. “What on earth could be so wrong in the hallway?” I wonder until I come completely around the corner….

Did I mention that she is Daddy most precious little wonder and joy? Daddy is freaking out….. I run in and try to figure out why they are screaming....

Our front door, you see, has one of those little knobs you twist to lock and the door has been shoved open too roughly on many occasions and put a small hole in the wall. What do you do with a small hole in the wall? Why you stick your little finger in there of course! Then your finger swells up and won’t come out.

So Mommy sends Daddy away because his panic is feeding Em’s panic and uses a syringe to squirt oil into the wall around the finger…and when that doesn’t help you use a knife to cut around the finger. In the end she didn't trust Mom enough and Daddy had to come back to cut it out....

But Em evidently isn’t the only child like me, cause my son announced , “She must have pushed her finger in too far, cause when I did that I pulled my finger out when I felt it getting smaller and I didn’t get MY finger stuck!” LOL

A Box….

I was sorely disappointed when we bought our new fridge and it didn’t come in a box. So naturally I was overjoyed when our lawn mower did! Yes, a big box for Em to play house in. Not as large as a fridge box but she is a very petite girl. We handed the box over and yes she was thrilled! I knew she would be. What I didn’t know is that instead of a house she would throw in a blankie, pillow and battery operated night light and go to sleep! I wish I had a picture of her curled up in there but she never goes to sleep on time or out of my bed so I was too scared I’d wake her with the flash!

I’ll Learn What I Want… When I Want….

I have been worried that Emily doesn’t know what other kids her age know already. I am not worried that she is mentally slow. I am more worried that I never really get around to doing school with her on a regular basis and that I may be I am letting her down. Even her Daddy nags that I don't work with her enough. (Deep down I know there is plenty of time. She may pass the other kids in her age range and leave them in the dust when she really starts doing regular school work, but I’m tired of having her being questioned and compared now.) That and when I do bother she resists and plays games with me. By play games with me I mean she acts like she doesn't know stuff to avoid work. For instance she can count to ten one second and gets lost at 2 a moment later. I can tell when she really doesn't know the answer because that is when she doesn't want to do school anymore. If it is not easy or doesn't come to her naturally she would rather not mess with it. Also, she is five and doesn’t know her colors??? Is she colored blind? Well, I sat down to do a little school with her a couple days after complaining to a friend that Em was having a hard time learning her colors and not only did she say all her colors but several of them she could recognize the names of the colors in writing…. I guess I SOOOOO need to get over this. She is clearly going to learn things in her own time!

0 comments: