Lift and Drag





We are using Apologia's Zoology 1 Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day for our first semester of science. I am doing this with both Emily and Brandon. Even though Emily is just in kindergarten I thought she'd enjoy learning about animals. However it starts out way over her head with classification, air pressure and aerodynamics. I was glad today was something she could get into a little.

Today was experiment day. We made two planes exactly alike except one had long narrow wings and one had short wide wings. Which plane will glide further?

Brandon and I hypothesized the wide wings because we thought it would have more surface to get lift. We were wrong. It was the long narrow wings because it experienced less drag. Either way at least the kids had two planes to decorate and play with and that is what really matters, right?




PS Ever notice how serious and pouty Brandon looks in school pictures. You'd never guess he is really a playful ball of cuddles. Must be the deep thought he is putting into his studies! ROFLOL HA! I slay me!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure being a "playful ball of cuddles" is exactly what he's aspiring to be! hehehee...

The plane thing looks like fun. My boys LOVE paper airplanes, rockets and all things that project into the atmosphere.