Emily is Reading!

I have to tell you I was very nervous about teaching Emily to read from scratch. Brandon learned to read in PS. I didn't start homeschooling him until 2 grade. So, I just improved his reading. But Emily .... Emily is all my responsibility. What if I don't give her a good foundation in reading? I mean really, in my mind, if you can read you can do just about anything! The how-to is only a book or internet site away! Emily has known all her alphabet sounds for ages. I've just put off actual reading while I tried to figure out the best way to get started..... I had bought How to Teach your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. But she hated it. So I sold it.

This school year I was still floundering and just had her working over some kindergarten workbooks. Finally I pulled out the Explode the Code and Bob Books that I've been sitting on for a while and decided to start her on those. OK like 2 days into them and she reads her first book all by herself!!!! Not only that but she read it over and over and over.

"Mat.
Mat sat.
Sam.
Sam sat.
Mat sat. Sam sat.
Mat sat on Sam.
Sam sat on Mat.
Mat sat. Sam sat.
The End."


OK, not Shakespeare, but hey it's her first book!

Then she demanded to read the second Bob Book and when I told her she wasn't ready to read it yet...she ignored me and read it anyway. Could she read it? Yes! She stumbled in a couple of places but she did read it! I guess it is time for momma to get out of this child's way and accept that she can do anything once SHE wants to do it!








Love Them! Love Them! Love Them! They go great together! I already have the Explode the Code books 1, 1 1/2, 2, and 2 1/2. I only have set one of the Bob books (that I picked up at a garage sale) but as excited as Emily is about being a reader I think I'll need to look into buying the next few sets soon!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS EMILY (and April)!!!

Hey, Misty (HSB/3boyz) has a set of Bob Books for sale (I think).

I think it's time you get her a library card! :-)