Stumbling Through Week Two of School.....

Ok let's evaluate this week in a nutshell.....

Monday- Emily's birthday, nothing much (school wise) accomplished

Tuesday- My Mom came over, Emily did school,
Bran only did math...no mom can't come on a day we are already planning on taking off that would be entirely too convenient for me.

Wednesday- So far today Emily has finished school for the day. Today was a really hard day for her. We are getting past the easy stuff that was review and touching on new concepts like time, money, adding, and learning new words that don't end in -at. Not automatically knowing the answers and getting a few these wrong really seemed to derail her. Poor Hopie being a big girl is tough.

Bran has only gotten through his journal and math. We are taking a lunch break. When I get off here I plan to try to do about three days worth of Science, History, Spelling and Reading with him to get him back on the schedule I want us to be on.

Thursday- I plan to go to story time at the local library at 10 AM. I know, I know that will get us started late on school work for the day but we haven't got any field trips or other homeshcool events planned for this school year yet.

Friday- Bran's birthday. No real plans to school this day either.

Not a stellar week of Homeschooling but then I figured it wouldn't be with two birthdays in one week. So I don't know why I'm disappointed. I just I just don't want to start slacking off so early in the school year. Plus, I know both the kids have some really challenging work to do this year that would be better learned applied daily not here and there. Am I the only one fretting so soon? Why is kindergarten and 6th grade stressing me out so much more than past years? This year just seems so pivotal for both of them to me. Emily will learning adding, subtracting, how to read and so much more this year. Next year Brandon will be starting what is junior high in public school. Is he going to be ready to be work at that level by the end of the school year? Is he writing at 6th grade level now? Do I coddle him too much? Can he work independently on a project without Mommy giving him step by step advice and instructions? (short break for complete nervous break down here)

(Now in getting a grip mode.) It's not really that I doubt my ability to teach them or their ability to learn, it's ... it's.... oh what is it... my fear of too much slacking off or not enough dedication...? I can't put it in to words...OH, I know! It's being a mom. A worrying mom. A not praying enough mom. Put it on the alter mom! Give it to God and move on! It's only the second week of school for crying out loud! Alright, I'm OK now. Don't worry about me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stumbling is okay... the point is that you STARTED this week! That in itself should be celebrated-- HOORAY!!!

So now you know that next week you will still be homeschooling and you can tweak and tutor all you want.

It will be okay, my friend. ESPECIALLY if you put all your fear and worries on the altar and trust God to guide you and help all of y'all.

Love,
Marsha

April said...

Ya wanna know how bad this is? This was actually the written third week of school not the second! I was so stressed out I didn't even know how many weeks in I was! ROFLOL