A New Home for the Piggies

I am AWESOME!!

OH, OK so is Brandon.

I love building things. OH, the sense of accomplishment! OH, the joy of success. OH, the happiness of showing your husband you can figure out things that he can't and that YES you can do it without him!

In the land of 3 guinea pigs in one small cage there was much trouble. A tad bit of fighting it seemed. So, I was given an extra cage exactly like the one I already had and separated them. OH, the pain and anguish this caused the little dears! They chewed and chewed on the wire between them. They wanted to be together. I really think it was just the small space that drove them to fuss with each other. So.....

I took to two solid metal bottoms and drilled five matching wholes down one side of each and took bolts and wing nuts and bolted them together. This made a little 1 1/2" ledge they have to hop over. Just to be safe I used a wrapping paper tube slit down the side to slip over the ledge to make it a smooth transition from one cage bottom to the other.

Next I took the two wire tops and cut a side out of each one. I left extra wire on one side to wire the two together. Brandon was a lot of help here. Neither of us really had the hand strength to make this an easy job. So, I’m really glad I had his help. I guess this could count as a shop class credit?

The result was a cage twice the size of the original and very happy guinea pigs! When we put them back in they started popcorning. This is a cute little jump they do where they kind of just pop up into the air booty first.

Any way it was great to see them happy again. Also Bran is really proud of the work we did together to make such a nice new cage. He had me take pictures to post.






0 comments: