Aquarium Newsflash!

Oh wait just minute! In my rush to sum up the multitude of days in which I failed to post I forgot to mention one of our recent exciting aquarium happenings. I can't believe I dared to let this go by with out reporting it sooner because I know dear blog readers that this kind of juicy aquarium talk is just what your looking for when surfing for reading material! Now to the topic at hand. Seems to me every female in my tank looks pregnant at all times. Although I had never seen babies being born there has been three different times that I've found a lone survivor from a batch of fry. I had long since given up trying to watch for signs of imminent birth in order to protect newborns. So here I am refilling up my tank after a cleaning and I notice a fish that looks distressed is being harassed by all the other fish in the tank. Come to find out I apparently shocked her into labor with all my work on the tank and that the others were chasing her around eating her babies as soon as they were being born! I finally got to see baby fish being delivered! At any rate I have no idea how many she had in total. I did manage to save 13 and put them in a nursery tank. There were more but I was tired by 13. Besides 13 is a large number of fish which I will at some point have to add back to my regular tank. I would post a picture but right now they are so small that they basically look like orange rice with eye balls. I don't think I could take a picture where you could see them clearly. Ok, now take a deep breath, calm down as I know this exciting news is bound to have you all worked up, and resume your life as best you can.

1 comments:

SimplyAmusingDesigns.com said...

I had to laugh when I read this entry, because I have been there too. I once watched in horror as three fish in my fish tank gobbled up about 100 babies. Of course, I let them because really? how was I going to house 100 more fish in my little 10 gallon aquarium? But still...it was both horrifying and fascinating to watch.