Spindle Farm Field Trip

Since we are about to go on another field trip to a Dairy Farm I should probably finally post the pictures from the field trip we went on last month! You think?


November's field trip was to a spindle farm. I had no idea what a spindle farm was when I signed up but knew it sounded cool! Sure enough it was. They raise sheep, goats, and even rabbits to use their fur for spinning. Mrs. Judy the owner of the farm was just awesome and a born teacher if you ask me. She graciously showed us around her home answering our questions not only about her animals but even her plants! LOL After petting the animals she took us in to show us how hair is spun all the while talking about how it used to take a whole family to make the clothes. It was a family affair. One would spin, another knit, may be another would work a loom or sew, and all the while another one would read usually from the Bible. She has an absolutely gorgeous loom that was over 100 years old! Her goal is to have the 4-H shows at the fairs to include spinning and home made objects made from animal fur. She said they have always had a problem with kids being heart broken after raising an animal to show at the fair and then realize it would be killed. She has a 4-H group meetings at her house where the kids learn to work with the wool. I know my kids had a blast! For the first time I seriously considered joining the local home school 4-H group!




Brandon with a pretty little black sheep.




All the animals were a hit but this baby goat stole the show!




Judy explains how any hair from any animal (even humans) can be spun then can be made into clothes or blankets while she demonstrates spinning for us.

1 comments:

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

That sounds like a field trip *I* would enjoy!

We're thinking about doing 4-H this next year. We'll probably skip the animals the first year and focus on baked goods and crafts. The baked goods especially fetch a high price at the fair. My friend's son wins $300-900 almost every year with his candy and pickling. Not that money should be a motivator. But that really is a what makes my oldest tick.

After the first year, I'm sure my boys will be begging for an animal. Hopefully it'll be small... like chickens. I say no way to the big guys like a STEER. nuh-uh.